Wednesday, June 01, 2005

It's just a bad idea

I was watching the Knox County School Board meeting tonight on TV. One of the issues covered was the first reading for implementing the "Time for Time" policy in all high schools. (Personally, I think it's bad policy, but then I'm just a parent. What do I know.)

Anyway, Jim Williams wanted to add an amendment to the policy. Currently, the attendance policy allows students, regardless of the reason for an absence, to make up any missed school work. He wanted to change the policy so that if a student is suspended for 1-3 days, they do NOT have the right to make up school work. Any test, assignment, project, whatever that occurs during that suspension is a ZERO. (I'm assuming that if the teacher chooses to allow the student to make up the work, they may. I could be wrong.) Mr. Williams said that several teachers had complained to him that having students, who are suspended a lot, make up work was too much of a hassle. Tough shit. It's part of the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home